Welcome to the website of
Podi Lawrence artist - passionate painter, inspiring teacher
I paint the light
"Translating the world into visual art has always been my passion. The challenges of finding the right colours to define either features or mood in both portraiture and landscape, inspire me. Catching something in the 'right' light is of paramount importance. ".......Podi Lawrence
Lawrence is a professional member of the SAA an online place for a LOT of information, cheaper materials, special offers, competitions and promotion of classes, exhibitions etc. She also belongs to the Artwey cic. a local mixed group of artists, exhibiting throughout the area of Weymouth & Portland. She teaches 1:1 and small group courses, weekend workshops at the Bijou Studio in the Heights Hotel on Portland and will be leading a painting week at the Maniac d’en Bas, near Toulouse, France for a week from 18th September 2018
Podi Lawrence - The name "Podi" (which is of Greek origin) was given to her by fellow artists when at college and she adopted it as her signature in the late 70's. Early in her career as a painter she was known as Pauline "Podi" Clack but later changed to Podi Lawrence. Her paintings and drawings are signed 'Podi'.
Lawrence attended the Harrow School of Art foundation course, and a course in Jewellery Design at the RCA and further commercial design at the West End Drawing School and started her career in marketing and publicity. She later attended workshops and classes by admired members of the Federation of British Artists. Over the past few years she has spent time in France, Canada and Panama both teaching and exhibiting. She became sought after for her portraits, figurative scenes and landscape paintings and went on to exhibit in Europe & the Americas winning many commissions and accolades some of which are listed here....
- A residency at the English National Ballet (ENB) in London led to a series of paintings and drawings of dancers and musicians. Some of her work was used in publicity and many of the paintings produced are in the collection of the ENB and privately.
- Other residencies included the Wycombe Swan Theatre (UK) and the Waterloo Jazz Festival (Canada) and the K-W Symphony Orchestra (Canada)
- Her painting "Colleagues painting at the Life Class” was accepted for the Salon de Paris and won a Bronze Medal in 1994, and she exhibited for a further 3 years.
- A painting completed in France was chosen by Prince Charles for the 1997 "Discerning Eye" Exhibition held at the Mall Galleries, London.
- She has exhibited with the United Society of Arts, the Society of Women Artists at the Mall and Westminster Galleries and at Llewellyn Alexander Gallery, London. She also took part in exhibitions in New York, London, Toronto and other venues in Canada through her invited membership of the Arts & Letters Club of Toronto (affiliated to the Salmagundi Club New York and the Chelsea Arts Club, London).
- In 1995 she received Honourable Mention at the Contemporary Portrait Society, open exhibition.
- She has written & illustrated a number of articles for the Artists and Illustrators Magazine.UK and her work has been featured in several publications in Canada.
- Commissions include Sir Ian Gainsford, Dean of Kings College London. Dancers, singers and musicians as well as many private family portraits.
- She has produced murals in Canada, Panama and the UK. In Canada she received commissions from The Waterloo Jazz Festival,The Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony Orchestra, the Southern Ontario Chamber music, and the Perimeter Institute for theoretical physics and the Mathematics Faculty of the Waterloo University.
- Her enjoyment of teaching others has been experienced by many students since 1988 at Adult Education centres in the UK. She was guest tutor at the Loyalist College, Ontario, Homer Watson Gallery, Kitchener, (Canada) and was a driving force of a cooperative gallery in Waterloo, Ontario now called the Uptown Gallery.
- In Panama her work was chosen for exhibit in the first International Contemporary Art Exhibition at the Museo des Arte Modern, Panama City, as well as teaching painting techniques whilst she was there.
- Her painting Shadows #10 - Palms and Shadows, was one of the finalists in the Artist of the Year 2013 run by the Artists and Illustrators Magazine.UK
- The illustration of the Portland Bill Lighthouse, on Portland won First in the Waterscene, Boats or Seascape Category of the ARTIST OF THE YEAR 2015 for the Society of All Artists.
- 2015 Commissioned by the Heights Hotel, Portland to produce a mural for the front reception area.
- She continues to share with enthusiasm and encouragement her knowledge and skills for drawing and painting, and has taught in schools and artist retreats in Panama, France, Canada and the UK.
Details of current learning opportunities can be found on the “TUITION" page.
Enquiries regarding purchasing or commissioning paintings should be made through the CONTACT page.
contact: 01305 549990 : 07557798558 : firstname.lastname@example.org ©2017 copyright of all pictures on this website remain with the artist Podi Lawrence or her heirs.
THE ART STUDIO, 87 Fortuneswell, Portland, Dorset DT5 1LY
Drawings in conté, pencil, ink; paintings in watercolour, oils, acrylics, inks, pastels; figurative subjects, portraits, animals, landscapes, seascapes,skies, sunsets, sunrises, boats,trees, forests, hills, mountains, shadows.